Thread: Aa
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2010, 05:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Snarf
Snarf Snarf

AA has been key for me. I go to a big clubhouse which holds meetings beginning at 7:30 in the morning and ending at 11pm. Some people go to multiple meetings throughout the day, and sometimes I'll hear the same things from the same people in the meetings. I'm like, "Dude, you just said the exact same thing in the noon group!" But there's always something really important, even if it's only 1 specific thing, that I need to hear in each meeting. There's always someone there I need to talk to before or after the meeting, and I usually don't know I needed to speak with that person until after it happens. I keep a pad and pen with me to write down things that I want to remember, since my brain's still kinda hazy from all the drinking and drugs and whatnot.

I need to, and will, get more involved with my Step work. It's not that easy for me to trust people, i.e. my sponsor, but I need to be more willing to open up and listen to what other AAers tell me about getting into the Big Book. I'm glad I haven't drank in 10 weeks, and I believe I experienced a psychic change the day I put down the bottle, and I pray to my God every day and ask that I be used according to His will and not my own, since all my will did was land me in jail and AA. But I hear from people who have done it that the real change happens when you go through the Steps and are able and prepared to help other alcoholics. So I need to get going with all that.

Good luck to you, Sleepie, and I'm glad you've enjoyed AA. It's helped millions of people, so I don't see why it can't help you and me.