Thread: Aa
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2010, 11:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
yeahgr8

Cmon how you going to do it just on willpower and by yourself? I imagine you have been drinking for a while now, i drank for 20 years and all of a suddent as if by magic im going to stop and everything will be rosy and happy...i thought that it would be that simple but i was a fool!

Im not sure where people get the idea that people just quit drinking and thats it...there are a few people on SR that have quit drinking successfully and now have happy and productive lives without AA but they havent just put the bottle down and carried on their old behaviour...they have had to change as i had to change...they have had to do as much work as i have be it counselling, reading self help books, praying, going to church, yoga, meditation etcetc...soemtimes it comes across like all they have done is stop drinking but pry a little and you will find they have done a lot more than that...

Get this stupid idea out of your head that alcoholics/drunks/addicts just suddenly stop and thats it...it is misleading and dangerous for you, and you will find that the only people that say this are people that are in their first few months of trying to avoid taking the next drink or people that are living miserable and ****** up lives in the old behaviour and simply abstaining...who the hell wants to live like that, do you?

I am staying in a Hotel with a mini bar 2 feet away fully stocked, i go to the bar for coffees when bored, i sit in restaurants every night where the first thing they do is put a complimentary glass of booze in front of you etcetcetc because i am free to do what i want...

The other scenario is that i ring downstairs to reception when i check in and ask them to remove the mini bar, avoid the bar area and people and have coffee in room service and dont eat out at night and stay in my room...im not living like that id rather be drinking again!

The difference between recovery and abatiannace becomign a bit more clear now?

AA will show you how to recover, i dont know if you are one of the people who would recover without AA at some point or die along the way...but if i were you i would go the safe route for once and get in and get on with the work you have to do now! Not that it will matter to anyone but you anyway, the world will keep spinning and people on here and in AA will still be sober, relapsers will keep relapsing, lovers will keep loving, fighters will keep fighting etcetc...

Its all about you, its you having to sit there in your own **** everyday because you are not doing anything about it...

Is that enough, going to the next meeting:-)