View Single Post
Old 07-21-2002, 07:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Debbie
I used to work here ;)

From Courage to Change

As I was sitting here this morning, reading my books. I turned to todays date, July 21 in Courage to Change, One Day at a Time in Al-Anon II. I wanted to share todays reading with you since it really does apply to many people lately.

"The people that I love won't take care of themselves, so I have to do it. How will they survive unless I.....?" This was my thinking when I came to Al-Anon, my excuse for interfering in everyone's business. My needs seemed so unimportant compared to the constant crises all around me. Al-Anon told me that I had other options, one of which was to let go and let God.

When I think of letting go I remind myself that there is a natural order to life - a chain of events that a Higher Power has in mind. When I let go of a situation, I allow my life to unfold according to that plan. I open my mind and let other ways of thinking or behaving enter in. When I let go of another person, I am affirming their right to live with their own life, to make their own choices, and to grow as they experience the results of their actions. A Higher Power exists for others, as well. My obsessive interference disrupts not only my connection with them but also my connection with my own spiritual self.

Today's Reminder

I am my top priorty. By keeping the focus on myself, I let go of other people's problems and can better cope with my own. What can I do for myself today?

"I will remind myself....that I am powerless over anyone else, that I can live no life but my own. Changing myself for the better is the only way I can find peace and serenity."

The Dilemma of the Alcoholic Marriage