Old 05-30-2010, 09:08 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
daisygirl2000

Originally Posted by marshallzhukov View Post
I think others have already convinced you through and through that your husband MAY, and in fact VERY LIKELY, is an alcoholic.
My head is convinced that he has an alcohol problem...and is on the path to becoming an alcoholic....and alcoholism is devastating to marriage & kids.
My heart is saying "but he is so functional"..."maybe he doesn't drink extra in secret"..."maybe the problem is not that bad"..."maybe he can get better with help".

And yes, I know I need to listen to my head.

Anyone who consumes 14 drinks in one sitting, ever, even on New Years Eve, is clearly not a 'social drinker.'
Just out of curiosity...roughly how many drinks do you think a guy his size can consume in one sitting before he crosses that threshold of 'social drinker' to 'problem drinker'? 4 drinks? 8 drinks? 12 drinks???

One other thing: What happens when he gets 20 years in the service, and can retire, with a pension for life, and full benefits to boot? When he no longer has to be accountable to his commanding officer or his unit? Do you think that he is going to bust his ass to get a civilian job and keep bringing home the bacon, or do you think his episodic drinking might get a lot more regular?
MZ
I really hadn't thought about that one!! Yes, I could see that becoming a possiblity. Have you heard of many retired soldiers doing that?

Thanks MZ. That was a very emotionally sobering post!

Its really heart breaking to hear this stuff and I really appreciate you all taking the time to help me see the reality.