Old 05-30-2010, 05:35 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
marshallzhukov

Daisy,
I think others have already convinced you through and through that your husband MAY, and in fact VERY LIKELY, is an alcoholic. He certainly sounds like one to me, and someone whose condition is deteriorating with the passage of time. I will echo that it does not matter if he drinks every day or not, or if he just got promoted, or whether he pays the bills on time. Anyone who consumes 14 drinks in one sitting, ever, even on New Years Eve, is clearly not a 'social drinker.' I for one would want nothing to do with such an individual.
What I personally wanted to add is that whether he is functional or not, if he is an alcoholic, then his primary relationship is with alcohol, and not you. If you want an emotionally engaged, emotionally available man, who is not perpetually concerned with recovering from his last drunk or planning the next one, who is likely to see you as a friend and not a nuisance, an alcoholic, functioning or otherwise, does not fit the bill. I can tell you that given your description of this man he seems like a one way ticket to nowhere. I only mention that because as his fiancee, and not wife, you are still in a position to walk away with only emotional strings attached. The moment you are married, it gets one hundred times more difficult to walk away. Others on the board who have been through or are currently going through divorces can probably attest to that.
One other thing: What happens when he gets 20 years in the service, and can retire, with a pension for life, and full benefits to boot? When he no longer has to be accountable to his commanding officer or his unit? Do you think that he is going to bust his ass to get a civilian job and keep bringing home the bacon, or do you think his episodic drinking might get a lot more regular?
MZ