View Single Post
Old 05-24-2010, 12:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Summer10

Hi,

I am currently going to a therapist because first off, I was married to an alcoholic for 13 years. I endured verble abuse and lost all self-esteem. I finally had the strength to leave when I saw the look in my children's eyes. I met someone 2 years ago, and we just barely started a relationship when he moved away. We kept in contact with one another, and now finally he moved back to where I am. We began seeing each other and he confided in me about his past. Turns out he's a struggling alcoholic. He has been sober before, but he has lasped before. He wants to turn things around, he recently entered a rehab facility. I am trying to decide is it the enabler in me that attracted him to me? Am I setting myself up for more misery? He has made me all sorts of promises, but I'm not sure how much of that I can believe. I do care for him, and we do have a great connection - we have great long talks, and we laugh a lot together. He decided to enter a rehab program - 60 days. Which is a great opportunity for me. I am going to a therapist and I am learning a lot about myself. I realize it's not my job to "fix" everyone, and I need to focus on my kids. I am thinking....if you love someone set them free...I think these next 60 days will be good for us to work on ourselves. Then we can take it one step at a time. I do feel he is worth it enough to give a relationship a try, and I feel we are both taking steps in the right direction to work on ourselves first. Am I being realistic?

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts and suggestions. Thank you for reading and thank you in advance for any help and advice.

Summer