View Single Post
Old 05-21-2010, 06:16 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
yorkshireman

It's been a long time and many failed attempts at quitting drinking since I was last on this message board but I thought I'd pop in and tell you all about how my life has changed.

I decided to go to the doctors after a heavy Easter which resulted in the first ever instance of me losing control of my bladder after a day drinking.

After finally having another blood test in April 2010 I discovered the enzymes were still raised, though not significantly different readings to the first test.

I last drank alcohol on April 18th 2010 and I feel great. The first few days were awful. Sleepless, restless, sweating, zits! Then gradually I started to feel well. I didn't know I felt ill before until I started feeling healthy.

I can confidently say I no longer drink. I go to the pub as often as I ever did and still go to gigs but I drink water, tea or soda. I sometimes drink alcohol free beer. I admit I miss a nice ale or wine but I am so focussed on recovery that it is never more than a fleeting thought.

I am losing weight. Women are taking an interest in me again and my friends are proud and supportive of what I'm doing. Some are even taking a long look at their own drinking habits.

Sorry if this sounds like a self congratulatory rant but it is! I've done it, I've quit the evil that is booze.

My message is that it can be conquered. It just needs will and conviction.

I'm happy!