View Single Post
Old 05-20-2010, 07:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
nogard
everything is already ok

Smile Its my 5th Birthday!

Today is my 5th Anniversary, I awoke at 7:30 and since then (its 11:30am now) I have been inundated with messages of love.

I remember this day 5 years ago so clearly. I awoke lying on the floor, wet, dirty, smelly, living in a half built house with no sewage no internal walls, no running water miles and miles from anyone else and here is the kicker I thought I was doing ok! Go figure.

This Morning 5 years ago was the end of my 11 year relapse from alcohol, the drug that I was sure was not a drug and was also sure I could manage. I had drunk through a TIA (small stroke) drunk a successful business drunk my relationships all of them including the one with my daughter, drunk my house and my work although I lost them later on.

As I reached for the codeine and coffee, I thought no not again and instead picked up the phone spent over an hour talking to a member and then found an Sober Recovery. I am still here today after 5 lovely years.

Every morning in the last 5 years has started with my spiritual ritual and in there I write a gratitude list as that’s what am most consistently grateful to be out of that walking dead nightmare of a cycle of addiction.

I do a lot of NA meetings still; I work the 12 steps as prescribed in our literature and have a strong friendship with my sponsor and a few other members. Best of all though is that I have never felt alone since day one (get goose bumps as I write this) as I know see that on that day I opened my heart to my spiritual life and became connected with a mysterious power far greater than me and that continues today and continues to grow.

I know that many types of recovery work and they all seem to have at least one thing in common which is addicts helping other addicts.
I went from walking in the shadows and living in hatred to being bathed in sunlight and feeling love in my heart.

One day at a time we get sick and one day at a time we get well, never give up, we are surrounded by the best solution for us.

Kevin