View Single Post
Old 05-17-2010, 09:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
cab

ADaughter need advice

I have been here before and now need more advice. My daughter is an alcoholic. She has been in treatment (lasted 8 months), outpatient and some AA. She and her husband (non drinker) have 4 boys, 3 of his from previous marriage and my grandson. He is trying his best to get her to admit she still needs help and keep the family together. I can deal with her in that I know I cannot "make" her well. I can give advice and set boundries and anything else but I cannot fix her. My main concern is my 5 year old grandson. He is not being abused in the actual sense, but I know he can tell there are major problems and that they are affecting him. We try our best to be there for him and are lucky to live close enough to keep he almost every other weekend.
Now the problem I am writing about, she has again started to drink between work and home (husband won't let her drink at home). Most of the time it is just enough to give her a buzz, but sometimes she is stumbling drunk. Should I give them an utilmatim that either he or I pick my grandson up from daycare or I call the authorities about her. This would be tough for both him and I because of our jobs but I would make it happen. I cannot bear the thought of her hurting him because he cannot protect himself. But I could open a big can of worms with SRS or cops and lose him anyway. I really don't trust government agencies with actually helping. I don't know what he or her would say to this.

Scared and worried.