View Single Post
Old 05-15-2010, 05:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Soph

It's Complicated...all right!

So, I rented "It's Complicated" last night. I thought a light romantic comedy would be perfect for my single Friday night.

Well...I have to say, it actually ended up pissing me off. I mean, I liked it and the acting and writing was fun. But, let's see here, for those of us gals who are 1. newly sober; 2. newly divorced and 3. not living in a dream home in Carmel or wherever, CA, with a view of the Pacific ocean? It's annoying.

Meryl Streep and her ex Alec Baldwin get absolutely smashed at a bar, end up in bed together. Ha ha! Every time she gets together with her fun, sympathetic gal pals, they drink lots and lots of wine, toasting each other and popping corks every five minutes.

Then when she finally goes on a date with Steve Martin, she's high from a joint her ex gave her, and the two of them have a hilarious, fun high together, ending in her bakery making chocolate croissants.

There is so much wine in this movie, and so much dysfunction, and yet this beautiful blonde happy family manages to smile through all the tears...blah blah blah.

Why didn't Meryl Streep drunkenly trip over something and split her lip? Why didn't Alec Baldwin get so angry that he smashed her back car windshield? Oh wait...those things happened to me and my ex. Sorry! No Hollywood scripts in this blonde's life. Just me, many nights of crying, many mornings of puffy eyes.

And so I was pissed off that I don't get to sit around with my gal pals anymore popping corks and getting tipsy and telling all. That looked like fun.
But I know, I know...it was just a movie. And sobriety is, actually, complicated.

Tonight my son and I are going to watch "Big" - because Tom Hanks always makes me smile and I know for a fact that in this movie he chooses reality, in the end, instead of some farfetched wish that isn't right for him.

Soph