View Single Post
Old 05-12-2010, 03:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hammerhead

Originally Posted by Beantowngirl View Post
My ex has Hep C and I gathered the courage last week to make a doctor's appointment to have myself tested this Friday. It is very rarely transmitted through sex but I will worry about it until I get tested so off to the doctor I go.
My ex had/has Hep C (contracted thru cocaine straw) He went for treatment for 6 months. At the 4 month mark his insurance company dropped him even after giving approval prior to treatment... (Doctor would not begin treatment without letter of approval from Insurance). The side effects are just like chemotherapy... I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

We scrapped money together to get the last 2 months of treatment... and the doctor was so kind to assist us with additional free medication which helped tremendously.

At 6 months the doctor told him his liver levels were back to normal... but he couldn't know for sure if he was "cured" until follow-up tests 3 months, 6 months and a year later. My ex never went back for any follow-up tests.

In the meanwhile... exH decided he wanted to drink again!!!! So I told him... you must confer with your doctor before you drink around me... The doctor told him he could have 4 ounces a week! So naturally he started out with 4 ounces a week... then he decided to be "creative" and save his 4 ounces one week and have 8 ounces the next week.... needless to say that's not what the doctor intended...

Nonetheless... it took 2 months for my exH to be in complete denial that he ever had Hep C (WTF) and since he didn't have insurance... he didn't have a doctor!!! It went even further downhill from there...

I too worry because we had unprotected sex... and I need to be tested... Thanks Beantowngirl.