Old 05-07-2010, 06:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
KittyP

Does 'your' A tries to make you responsible for him/her

I've started to notice that my AH is always trying to get me to fix things for him and I was wondering if this is something other people have experienced. Apart from when he is having technical problems at work if he has a problem he calls me.

Just this morning he cycled into work for the first time. For the last week he has been messing about with the bike, raising the saddle and handlebars, checking the battery (it's an electric bike), testing it out. I've been helping him with it as I'm the more mechanical of us but after a while he was fiddling with it too much so I decided to let him to it. Half way to work the saddle fell off. Did he slot it back in place and get the spanner from the bike kit to tighten the bolts? No, he pulled over and phoned me. I mean seriously, what sort of magic did he think I have access to that I could reach through the bloody phone and fix the saddle.

Another example is last week when I got something from his bag one night I noticed he had a days medication in there. I asked was it a spare day's worth and he said actually he'd forgotten to take his pills that day. When I told him he needed to prioritise taking his tablets he told me it was my fault as I didn't ring him each time he was due to take them. I just laughed at him and told him I wasn't getting involved in such obvious codie behaviour. He's a grown man and can govern his own tablet taking. He looked really crestfallen.

The other recent event that springs to mind was 3 weeks ago while I was in the middle of moving house and he was in rehab he called me to say his dentist had changed his appointment. He was upset because that meant he couldn't have his broken tooth pulled before we moved so would have to find a new dentist and it was too stressful to him as he hates dentists. I eventually had to ask him what the hell he thought I could do about it and to sort it out himself.

I'm actually getting really weirded out by this behaviour. I have no problem with helping him out in some things, doing jobs together, having him help me with things. We all have our strengths and it's normal for married people to rely on each other at times. But he seems to be trying to shift responsibility for a huge amount of his life onto me. Worst of all I can't honestly remember if I've been doing this for him for years or if this is new behaviour from him. Maybe a bit of both. But either way I really need to make him realise he can't shift his responsibility this way.