View Single Post
Old 05-03-2010, 10:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Kmber2010

Originally Posted by binderdonedat View Post

Something I did to bide my time during cravings was to watch movies, and I noticed something that disturbed me. Why is it that whenever there is some sort of tragic incident the hero always gets f**ked up? I mean in 20 movies, I watched it happen about 15 times. Guy loses girl - goes to bar and gets faced. Guy disarms bomb, has PTSD and goes home to hoist JD until he passes out. Girl finds out son has cancer and drinks copious amounts of wine until passing out. Bloody hell, the deck has been stacked against us for so long and I never noticed. It's like Hollywood style conditioning, like, if you're worth a salt and want to be the hero in your own life story, the minute something goes wrong you must immediately head to the bar and get sh!tfaced. Never noticed this before but man, that's really disturbing on many levels.
Congrats on your sober time and for making the necessary changes in your lifestyle to sustain sobriety.

I couldn't help but chuckle when I read the above snippet from your post. Hubby and I were just watching this comedy the other night (our new routine is dinner then a movie then bed) called It's Complicated. Ok, I thought it would be funny since it was about life after divorce etc. and had Meryl Streep in it. OMG.....the whole darn movie was like drink, drink, drink. Hubby points out that the whole thing was like an advertisement for alcohol. Yeah, I got through it but man.....I wish they would have shown the negative effects of boozing hard. That got a big BOOO from us.

I hate how many military flicks (we watch alot of those) show boozing as a way to let off steam or like you said, films depicting a character getting drinking to get over a breakup etc.

Can someone say subliminal advertising.....or something like that....yuck.

Worst part was when I was drinking....I would watch flicks like that and actually justify that my drinking was normal because - they do it in the movies!!! They can't be wrong.....yeah the nonsense we sell ourselves when we are on the bottle.

Good movies though that made me start thinking about quitting....When a Man Loves a Woman and Life of the Party - Story of Beatrice. Just a few I watched when I was drinking and began to realize that I am an alcoholic.

All the Best