View Single Post
Old 04-30-2010, 07:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
catlovermi

My brother is a pothead. It didn't seem so bad when he was young and single - he took care of himself and paid his bills. He had a lot of energy, then.

But then he got into adulthood. He didn't have the gumption to get an education; he was getting high.

He remains self-employed as a heavy equipment operator. Problem is, he can't afford much equipment, so his ability to earn is limited by his few, small machines. We're talking small, as in 4-wheeler with a plow to scrape snow at 3 am in the dead of winter. Or small tractor to smooth out new construction yards. He can't work for someone else and use larger equipment that would earn him more money, because he won't pass the drug tests they'd require and he knows this, so he doesn't even try.

He's now in his 50s, married, miserable with two kids living in misery in the household. He lives hand to mouth, hoping to make enough money each month to pay the bills. He and his wife bicker constantly but neither has enough money to get divorced and live independent of the other; they are simply too poor. He has no hope of ever advancing, or buying his own home.

I live across country, and every few years when I visit him, I see how his life is miserable, his family miserable, no hope apparent. I fully expect my next visit to see his older son smoking weed, too, now. The cycle continues.

He doesn't drink, or do hard drugs. But even so - who would want the life he does have, save a stoner?

CLMI