View Single Post
Old 04-30-2010, 04:33 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
shockozulu
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Originally Posted by gneiss View Post
To confuse things even farther I think that makes me an agnostic agnostic apathist. Meaning I don't know if there's a God, and I'm not sure if I care.

*rim shot*

<pause for applause>

Thanks, I'll be here all week. Don't forget to tip your waitress.

Originally Posted by joinedintime View Post
Litterally LOL'd on that one.

so....apathesim
it that being apathetic about belief in a supernatural deity?
as in, yeah there might be a god, there might not, I don't care

but I know there's a Mr. Clapton

well, I decided to look it up first before hitting the ol' submit post buttom and sure as hell, well I'm not so sure there's a hell, but I digress....not only is that a real word (maybe you all knew that and I'm the one that thought someone accidentally typo'd it up here) but get this - there is a church of apathism and it says you might already be a member

for those that are curious, this is from the top of their home page:

There are four main roots of theology (we'll ignore the various ascetic, moral, dogmatic, etc. branches of theology and stick to the roots): theism, agnosticism, atheism, and apatheism - all of which answer to ideas of the existence of supreme beings. Simply put, theists don't deny, agnostics don't know, atheists don't believe, and apatheists don't care about the existence of gods.

Apatheists neither believe in nor deny the existence of gods. They simply aren't interested one way or the other. To Apatheists, the "god question" is profoundly unimportant. Even if there were a blatant, undisputed answer to the question, we would most likely go on living our lives the same ways we already do.
Reminds me of a friend of mine, who I'll call BG. Born Jewish, BG became atheist and never entered a synagogue after his Bar Mitzvah. Then he went over to Soviet Russia for work. He was invited to a Yom Kippur service and being in a place where one must hide and sneak to attend services BG felt as an American he should go. His attitude was that his Russian friend saw that he was living in the country of freedom of religion. BG felt that if he turned the invitation down would be extremely rude. He knew that if the police found out about the service, all the Soviets would be arrested. Yet, not only would BG be safe as an American, the others risked imprisonment simply for praying with their fellow Jews on the highest of holy days.

BG said that although he still doesn't believe in a god, he felt a presence of something special in that synagogue. Not necessarily a HP, but something. He now considers himself a Agnostic atheist.