View Single Post
Old 04-29-2010, 02:10 PM
  # 243 (permalink)  
Marlow

Well, well, well.. Almost the end of April folks. And I can honestly say it's been one of the most important months of my life. Today I am proud to say I'm 18 days sober. That's the longest I have not had a drink in 15 years, my entire adult life.

It's funny now looking back to when I was 18 years and in my freshman year of uni. I was living away from home for the first and was sharing a dorm with three other guys. First weekend I went out and got six pack of, I think it was John Labatt Classic. I remember almost gagging trying to finish one bottle. I found a solution and that was whiskey and coke. I would return to beer with a determination to like it some years later. Rest of first year didn't go so well. Horrible grades, ridiculous situations of me embarrassing my self, constant blackouts...etc.

I do remember reading a newspaper article that year though. I had embarrassed myself horribly once again, remembered nothing off it, only to hear about my actions from other people and decided at 18 years old I needed to quit drinking. The man writing the article mentioned that he was an alcoholic, tried to quit for 17 days, and it would be a long long time, before he would go that long a time without a drink again. I thought that couldn't possibly happen to me, but here I am writing this post now, realizing it has.

Sobriety has become extremely important to my life in a very short time, and aside from wife, is probably what I value right now more than anything else. Last night I had a dream that I drank beer. 18 days ago that dream would have been meaningless. Last night it was a nightmare.

So.... keep up the good work everybody. Topspin, WhiteWave, Rev, you guys do a great job of keeping this thread going. Kyb, I can tell you the first week was brutal for me, but after about 9 or 10 days, I felt the fog starting to lift and almost become human again. Andi, great work, and all you other Apriller's, love and eternal peace. Let's finish April and then rock out May!

Marlow