View Single Post
Old 04-22-2010, 03:17 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Toronto68

Well, I think it would be nice if the thread could be salvaged, whether that includes the original poster or otherwise. I say that because we frequently see newcomers to the site mentioning what amounts to alienation from certain approaches - whether well-founded in their apprehension or not. For example, we often see, "I just don't want AA, too holier than thou, too much God." Well, I don't go to AA meetings currently, but I interact with AA people here. I am able to do that because I like to use a mixed bag approach as opposed to one size fits all. I just set aside my baggage with regard to religion and take a look at the topics that are discussed (and try to be openminded). Maybe there is more to be set about "How I Did It" after all. I don't think "cure" is the right way to look at it though, since I am of the belief that addiction is pretty much there for life. But there are all sorts of people though, not just one stage, not just one set of problems, etc etc. Maybe these people who are more confused about their relationship with substances would get something from a less black and white approach. If not, well, there's always a new thread cropping up!