View Single Post
Old 04-21-2010, 03:17 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Toronto68

There are other people who feel like they didn't necessarily hit a rock bottom when they came to the point where they were ready to quit. In fact, some people say they actually did NOT hit one, but they stil went forward with the quitting. I recently said I fell into thar category (that it was not a rock bottom), because I can think of worse periods. But maybe that isn't right, because I have also said that it felt like the soul was drained out of me. Who knows.

It sounds like the "inventory" exercise on what is good and bad about drinking is something you can do easily, since you like to have debates with yourself, and are aware that you also have the ability to rationalize behaviour (and listen to the angel with the horns instead of the wings). I suppose the last 8 or 10 years of my drinking was similar to this idea of knowing how to take the inventory and yet stick with "but I still want it" and "there is more time." Along the way there was a haunting feeling about how much longer I would live though - and then I told myself: Why "consume" (or destroy) all that remaining time by continuing with the drinking if i can access some type of benefit through zero alcohol if I only have 6 years or 6 months to live after all this self-abuse.

It might be that you need to go through more time before reaching the golden moment when you really stop, but there might be a really negative consequence to that, medically and otherwise. If you think of that way, that might make a difference as you achieve the Days of no drinking. Maybe it's a mixture of things you need to look at?