Thread: Hangover
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2010, 03:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
NEOMARXIST

I could have written that post of yours a few years back. That was my experience with drinking too.

In my experience it never gets any better but always worse if you continue to drink. I relate to what you say a lot. I am am alcoholic. I too was a binge-drinker like yourself, but once you start drinking solidy over two days and are experiencing the 'mental' side of it like you appear to be, then often there is no way back to controlled, moderated, 'happy' drinking. Drink will just take you down into the gutter eventually if you continue.

I had to truly accept I was an alcoholic until I stood a chance of getting out of that rut that you appear to be in with drinking. Until I truly acceped that, then I would be back out drinking again within a week or two. Back to square one again. Apart from it's progressive, so it always gets worse, never better.

It is possible to get sober in your 20's in UK but it sure isn't easy as it takes a total overhaul of your life to dedicate it totally to sobriety. My sobriety is the most important thing in my life, as without that then I would be back in that same rut you speak of. I remember the hopeless feelings well. The resignation to the fact that I knew I'd be back doing exactly the same thing only a few days later, really crap place to be at.

The only solution for me was to accept that I'm an alcoholic, totally commit to sobriety, realise that I must never take the first drink as that's the one that will kill me, and get 'working' on my recovery. It ain't easy at times but it's the only way for this alcoholic.

I got sober at 23 and I am 24 now. 9+ months sober. I was on the merry-go-round for a good few years. In a similar place to where you appear to be at now. It never got any better but was robbing me of a lot of things... self-respect being high up on the list.

All The Best.