View Single Post
Old 04-17-2010, 11:38 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Mambo Queen

I was with my A a little longer than you were with yours. I left. When I left, I took everything with me: children, pets, furniture, a car, dishes, etc. I left him with our bed linens, air mattress, big screen tv, my suv, an old truck, two bean bag chairs, a few dishes, the house and the coffee maker. He lost the house later.
I mean absolutely no disrespect to you, Pelican, but I will say that to me, when I was in the middle of the worries that our original poster has expressed, this wouldn't have been helpful to me because I would have thought....see, her ex has a house, TWO cars, a big screen TV, etc....she doesn't get how hard it is to turn your back on someone who will literally be a homeless man with not a dime to his name without my help. I'm not saying at all that you shouldn't have posted it, just that I understand very clearly that "I am just abandoning him to the streets" feeling posted by mishaco1.

So to you, my dear, I say...I felt that same crises you feel coming up when he is finally kicked out of the hotel he's staying in. Mine called incessantly, then finally went to a hospital (did you know they have to treat anyone who comes in, ability to pay or no? I didn't...but was pleased to discover it). He checked himself in with alcohol poisoning, was released a few hours later with the names and numbers of homeless shelters and free rehabs in our area. He went to a homeless shelter that night, and THAT was finally his wake-up call to check himself into the Salvation Army.

Now, this story doesn't have a happy ending, as he checked himself back out a few months later, and as far as I know, is back to drinking again....but my point is this. My biggest fear was imagining the father of my darling daughter (oh, did I mention, he is my ex-husband, and the father of my only child?) living under a bridge, panhandling for booze. He managed to find a way to avoid that. Yours will too. Trust. Wipe that worry from your mind. If he does get kicked out of the motel, text him the number of the closest Salvation Army. They'll put him up, put him to work, get him three squares, absolutely free of charge. If he doesn't do it, then that's absolutely on him, right? I'm not saying it will change him, but it sure as **** helped that nagging worry/misplaced guilt/abused woman **** that "he doesn't have a place to go" is a good enough reason to put up with being abused.