View Single Post
Old 04-14-2010, 08:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Paula374

Originally Posted by wicked View Post
He will most likely get a dishonorable discharge, although I am not an expert on this.
(He might be able to upgrade it to general later)
My son is getting a BCD (bad conduct discharge) and from what I know it won't be upgraded. It will follow him forever. It is already causing problems with him trying to go to college when he gets home. It's a federal conviction even though they are misdemeanor charges because of him being in the military.

I actually went to my first Al-anon meeting tonight. I have to say I felt very uncomfortable. I know it is also for people with drug addicts in their life, but I felt like I was in the wrong place since it was focused around alcoholism. Is this a normal feeling for most? They said to give it at least 6 tries before I make a decision. Also, I found the language that was used kind of offensive. I guess mostly because we were in a church building and it seemes bit disresepctful. Are they all about the same or am I just seeing this whole experience in the wrong light?

Don't get me wrong, I plan on continuing with meetings, I'm just wondering if I should check out different ones to see if it's a better "fit" for me.

Ann, you said something that hit home for me and I have to be honest with you, that is the reason I went to the meeting tonight and didn't wait another day. You said: "If you are like me, we always find time for our sons' urgent requests, but not time for somathing that may save our own sanity."

I was/am EXACTLY like that! I will break my neck to whatever it is he needs or wants, even if it's hard or inconvenient. Thanks for giving me that "shake".

Thank you all again for the wonderful support! Just knowing you guys are here has made me feel so much better already.