Old 04-13-2010, 03:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Pelican
peaceful seabird

It's a short but sweet chapter about my mind. I like the exercises that Melody offered (Alizerin posted these already). Things like
Quit abusing our minds because worry and obsession constitute mental abuse. Ouch!
Feed our Minds
Stretch our Minds
Use our Minds

For me, the instruction to quit abusing my mind has been the hardest to follow. I catch myself chasing down the worry train or jumping the tracks and following the obsession trail. I allow myself to wonder about someone else's behavior. I allow myself to wonder about their reactions. Other's behaviors and reactions are not within my control. Therefore, I should not send my mind off to worry and obsess over someone else's behaviors and reactions. Easier said than done.

I think I developed this habit of abusing my mind with worry when I thought I was being kind/considerate of other's feelings. I went overboard and thought I should anticipate their needs. It really blew out of proportion while living with an active alcoholic. I was always anticipating their needs in hopes of preventing the next binge. I didn't prevent, maybe postponed, the inevitable and ended up with mind mush from self-inflicted mental abuse!