View Single Post
Old 04-08-2010, 06:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Lilyflower
Recovering Codependant

Relationships based over the internet, phone calls or letters are not based in reality.

That statement is my personal understanding based on my experiences. I met my daughter's father through being his pen-pal. We communicated for a year via letters, hit it off I thought he was great, he liked me, we were best friends etc etc.

Then we met face to face and within a period of 4 months, didn't want to see each other anymore. By that time I had also fallen pregnant.

The imagery he portrayed and I guess, that which I portrayed; could not be maintained when in close quarters. Thats not to say we deliberatly lied to one another, but it was easier to read and re-write, embellish, skim over things and stay superficial in terms of showing personality traits.

I found the same applied 10 or so years later when I tried Internet dating for a period. Every time I met the guy, it was like a different person from who I had got to know and thought I liked.

The guy in your head is very likely a mix of who you actually knew of this person and all the attributes you have projected onto him from your own mind.

Bottom line is also this, he is NOT in your life at the moment and it would be a shame to waste your life waiting for him.

Live your life in the now based on the FACTS at hand.

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx