Old 04-07-2010, 03:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
HumbleBee

Originally Posted by Andi View Post
I've had my share and I know how they must feel very well (cranky-sleepy-finding it hard to focus- can't wait for the day to be over...), so I'm thinking I can use their stories, from now on, as fuel for my sobriety in some way, until hopefully one day they'll draw their own conclusions??
Does anyone have experiences to share on how to handle this?
Hey Andi,

I don't know if you're wondering if it's ok to use their hangovers, drinking, etc. as motivation for you to want to stay sober or if you're wondering about maybe 'showing them the light' to a life of sobriety like you've chosen?

If it's the former, I am grateful every morning that I wake up clear-headed, particularly after social events such as the superbowl, st. patrick's day, etc. so if seeing your co-workers reinforces your resolve to not want to live like that, I'd say, whatever works and helps you. I wouldn't use this as the only thing to keep me sober, but that's me.

If you're hoping that you might be able to help them change their ways, I'd advise against it - nobody wants or will really get sober until they want to. If we're truly focusing on our own sobriety, we won't have time (nor should we) to be concerned with trying to change someone else.

My apologies if I misread your question. I do think working in this environment while trying to build a foundation for a life in recovery will be challenging - not impossible I suppose - but it will require some real due diligence, particularly if there is peer pressure to join in the regular festivities that seem to not only be tolerated, but encouraged.

Look forward to hearing how it goes, Andi. Take care.