View Single Post
Old 04-06-2010, 03:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
keithj

Originally Posted by HercTRock View Post
I have had many suggestions as to what I needed to now do to stay sober. Is there a solution that works for most people and works better than all the rest?
Herc, I'm not getting into the debate of AA versus something else, but you mentioned enough AA 'stuff' for me to focus on that.

I'm sober in AA for a while now. It was a life changer for me. I have never seen it fail for someone that thoroughly takes the Steps and lives the principles. I mean never. And I'm pretty active in AA.

Here's how to get sober in AA. As far as AA goes, of all those suggestions, pay absolutely no attention to anything that isn't in the Big Book. Someone's 'opinion' of AA will get you killed.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but if you are asking these questions, then you are not in the middle of a 9th Step. I can tell just by the questions that the foundation is weak.

I'm sorry, it just is what it is. Find a sponsor who knows that Book and doesn't rely on their own 'opinions' of what works. Let me ask, how much time did your sponsor spend sitting down with you, each with a copy of that book open in front of you? Find a sponsor that will do that, identifying directions and actions to be taken.

Other questions. How many columns did your 4th Step have? what questions did you ask of yourself? What is the fundamental Step 2 question?

It's not a quiz, Herc, I'm just trying to see where you are at.

I love AA, but it really pisses me off sometimes when I hear things like this.

Oh, and the frustration is not at you, Herc, it's against really watered down and weak AA.