View Single Post
Old 04-06-2010, 02:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Snarf
Snarf Snarf

AA meetings and SR have helped me a lot, but I think the real reason I haven't drank in 13 days is because my thinking changed. I experienced what I consider to be a miracle. Some people may call it "moment of clarity," or "psychic change," or "divine intervention," or "awakening" or whatever. The label doesn't matter to me. I experienced something that I believed fundamentally transformed me. I was about to drink a beer directly following a horrible experience caused by drinking, and all of a sudden it was like a lightning bolt hit me and I came to the realization that I was a crazy person who was flying out of control. Immediately, I didn't want the beer and I sought help from AA. Been to a ton of meetings, got a sponsor, reading the books and working the steps. But AA is a tool I'm using to advance my sobriety; the desire not to drink came from that inspiration I received and the conscious realization of what my drinking had cost me and what it could cost me in the future. Now if I think about a drink, I think about the horrible things that I experienced because of my alcohol use and the worse things that could happen if I do drink.

Also, prayer has been huge in my life these 13 days. Before I leave in the morning, before I hit the bed at night, and various times throughout the day when I feel I need to. But prayer is an action; the change I experienced is the cause of the desire to pray.

That could be a whole lot of rambling mumbo jumbo, but it made sense in my head as I was typing it.