Thread: Dry Drunk
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2010, 07:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
lostmyway

Wow...congrats on 10 weeks! That is WONDERFUL! My interpretation of a "dry drunk" is someone who has given up drinking but is white-knuckling it and not enjoying their sobriety, not had a spiritual awakening. I too am afraid of being in this category.

I was determined not to use AA as part of my recovery. I didn't like their talk of a Higher Power, the idea that we are defenseless against the first drink, and that we cannot maintain sobriety unless we help others to stay sober. I thought it was a load of crap. Surely willpower would be enough to help me overcome my problem. But I was proved wrong, time and time again, and so I surrendered and just gave myself to the program. Even though it's sayings and ideas still make me cringe at times, I am able to swallow it, take what I need and leave some of what I don't. I know there are other programs out there, but AA is readily available to me at no cost, and if I make a meeting, no matter how bad my day was, I know I won't drink. Just my two cents on what is working for me. You will find your way.