View Single Post
Old 03-30-2010, 01:18 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
jackfrost

romanticizing drinking

Thanks diddy for the reality check. I absolutely hear you on your prior and my prior approach to vacations. It was an excuse to get liquored up at lunch, at dinner, at night and then feeling so much like crap it was hard to do the actual fun things the vacation spot has to offer.
I will ABSOLUTELY keep that in mind when I go to Cancun.

jack

Originally Posted by bdiddy5522 View Post
I really have to agree with what Getr345 has to say in regards to the romanticizing the good times with alcohol. The "nice glass of wine or margarita" and all that crap. That is the disease, or rather the "evil conscience" sitting on your shoulder. Oh, one drink won't hurt you, it would be so nice, you deserve this, etc etc. It is all crap! If alcohol was all nice and fuzzy, none of us would be here. You have to get rid of those thoughts, and over time they do disappear. I too am going to Puerta Vallarta Mexico the first week of May to an all inclusive resort for a week. Usually I had taken full advantage of those trips as an opportunity to drink as much top shelf liquor as I could to "get my money's worth". But in reality I was just drunk and sick the whole week I was gone. This time I am going to enjoy early morning coffee on the ocean, workout on the beach, swim, snorkel, go on excursions, zip-line, parasail...... ALL the stuff I couldn't do before because I was either drunk or getting drunk or thinking about getting drunk. How much fun will a vacation be when you can truly take in the peacefulness of the location without alcohol clogging your mind?

I hope you find the great support on this site like so many of us have. Stick around, this site is great. I found it is a great supplement to my recovery. I needed more (AA) to truly make my sobriety stick.