Thread: New here
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2010, 06:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Pelican
peaceful seabird

Welcome to the Sober Recovery family!

You will find information and support for yourself here. Make yourself at home by reading and posting as much as needed. There is a wealth of wisdom in the permanent posts (stickies) at the top of this forum.

Your friend may be an alcoholic. Have you considered attending Alanon meetings? Alanon is a face to face support group for friends and family of alcoholics. It is based on the same 12 steps of AA.
Step One is: We admitted we are powerless over alcohol - and our lives had become unmanageable.

Welcome to our world. We are powerless over another person's alcoholism and our lives became unmanageable. We tried screaming, crying, begging, manipulating, denying, fixing and controlling and when we were completely exhausted (mentally and physically) we were ready to admit we were powerless over alcohol.

The only person I can control or fix is myself. Through Alanon, this forum and self-help books, I have learned to love myself and take better care of myself. As a stronger, healthier ME, I am able to be supportive to those around me and allow them the dignity of controlling their own personal lives.

Pull out the keyboard, and make yourself at home!