View Single Post
Old 03-29-2010, 11:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Recovery1983

Hey Swelter, welcome to the forum. It seems like you are familiar with the 12 steps. I'm doing AA but i'm not sure if you are doing AA or NA. I think they are almost the same but the reference is to alcohol or narcotics. For me, the biggest hurdle was truly understanding the first step. I had to look deep down and surrender to alcohol. In AA they have a book called "Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions". My sponsor had me read the first step in the book and while I was reading it, it felt like the book was referring strictly to me. All that was missing was my actual name at the end of every sentence.

In my opinion, the obsession that you talk about will always be there. Some say that as you get more time under your belt, the obsession grows stronger because your addict mind will start to rationalize or justify certain thoughts. It was hard for me to believe that my mind is an addict mind and thus wired differently. It was hard because my friends did not have this and if I try to explain it to them, they look at me as if i'm hysterical. It was something that I had to learn the hard way in order to surrender to alcoholism. Even if my friends dont "understand" completely what i'm going through, I am assured that the people in the meetings can understand completely.

It's great that you are going to meetings every day. You mention that you have a sponsor which is great too. My sponsor tells me to call him once every day. I've been doing it the last 28 days. I'll admit that some times I'm already dreading to call him. I get so wrapped up in doing my daily things that I feel like that. When I realized that feeling, I had to remember that it was my addict mind already setting back in. My sponsor doesnt remind me to call him and he always reminds me that doing all this is for me and not for him. If you arent calling your sponsor every day then make it a regular habit to call him every day. Now that I have some days under my belt and i'm going to meetings and doing what I need to be doing and especially staying sober, I just call to check in with him. I've also gotten other member's numbers and another person has recommended that I call 3 people every day just to get into that habit.

With all this being said, just worry for today. As long as you are doing what you are supposed to do, you'll be fine. If you are wondering what you are supposed to do, contact your sponsor and let him know that you want his help and recommendations.