Thread: Relapse
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2010, 09:47 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
humblestudent

Lost - I agree with others that said that by starting with the expectation that you won't make it past a month, that you are actually already in that moment rationalizing and working your way up to that first drink. It may take a month to get from brain to drink in hand, but I really think that's what's going on.

With all due respect to AA, I agree with Humble that it's not about doing the steps so much as really wanting sobriety first. Although I completely believe in the whole surrendering to the reality of powerlessness when it comes to how we behave when we drink...i.e., Humblestudent + Alcohol = Complete inability to think clearly and control further alcohol intake. It's like giving water to a person on a desert at that point. But BEFORE I take that drink...I am in control. Only I can choose to pick it up or not. And, I am squarely responsible for that. Me. Nothing outside of me. Not steps, or no steps, or whatever. You have to get to the point where you want to stop the cycle. My cycles were once a week. Yours are turning to approximately once a month. You can do it - but you have to shift your perspective, and comfort zone, and push through that month to prove to yourself that you can do it...