Thread: On the Fence
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2010, 03:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hevyn
Community Greeter

Welcome jbrest! Great to meet you. Thanks for an honest post. I felt so much relief when I found this place and could talk about my problems. No one else in my life really understood.

I'm older than you, & in my 40's I was still able to control my drinking to some extent. It was still something I only did on weekends. Fast forward 10 yrs. and I was drinking 24/7, always had something in my system because I'd shake if I didn't. You said "it just doesn't seem as fun anymore". Pay attention to that thought! That was my thinking many years ago - if only I'd paid more attention. My answer was to increase the volume I drank. My tolerance was huge. Trying to recapture the old fun & excitement, I nearly lost my life. It was time for me to grow up, but I didn't realize how I had stunted my emotional growth by numbing myself. I wanted life to be one big, carefree party. I don't know why I had such a problem with reality.

You have a strong family unit behind you, and alot to be proud of. Be glad you haven't ruined your marriage or lost your job, like many of us have. Congratuations on desiring a change in your life. You can do this!