Thread: New...Scared...
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2010, 07:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
yeahgr8

Welcome!

I was scared of AA meetings for years! I would pop into one every several years and think wow i dont like that at all, they're not like me...lucky really because there is no way i could have gone to AA, follow their suggestions and continued to drink...would've killed my drinking career much earlier than last year if i had gone years ago...

AA is full of people like you, who wanted to get sober and were willing to go to any length to do so...you will be welcomed there and feel at home once you get into it, kinda like joining and new club...the stigma BS is all you, and was me, it's just another excuse i'm afraid but an excellent one to keep drinking;-)

For me i had to try every other way to get sober, lose everyone out of my life, end up broke and wanting to die at 38 (Note i learned, most don't go to this extreme they manage to keep on going to a ripe old age and die after a miserable and tortured existence of always trying to stop drinking, i was very lucky!)...then i thought ok ive had enough ill go to AA because i knew it would work...in hindsight...last place i wanted to be when i was active and whilst i still had any trappings of a 'normal' life was AA...

I suggest you make an anonymous phone call to one of the numbers listed in your area for AA and ask if someone will meet you for a coffee near to the meeting if you are that scared of going to the meetings...there is a 12 step forum on here if you want to ask for more info about meetings, you could start a thread and hear how other people did it:-)

Life's a trip, huh?!