View Single Post
Old 03-18-2010, 07:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
HumbleBee

I totally get this...

There's always been a strong direct and indirect connection between celebration and alcohol.

Beginning with peer pressure in school, to drink was to be "cool." Then we grow up, get jobs, find alcohol to be a great way to end the work week or to celebrate a friend's engagement.

I couldn't imagine superbowl sunday without alcohol (or any other sporting event for that matter). And we immediately think "wine" to bring to a friend's house for dinner (I love that Seinfeld episode where George argues that bringing a bottle of Pepsi instead of wine is a better choice).

For me, it was a matter of developing new habits and ways of thinking and being comfortable with the choice to not drink alcohol to celebrate or unwind. It took some practice but that's ok.

I think to view sobriety as if "I'm not allowed to drink" is a dangerous thinking process that can breed resentment and make it easier to give in. I'm not 12 after all, and there's no authority figure telling me "I can't drink" - it's become my choice

It's my life, I'm in charge of it and my decision and choice is to not drink. Any change takes getting used to - this is no different (for me).

Can't tell ya how many people I've seen who are "green" with hangovers on this day after St. Patrick's Day. There but for the grace of God go I...