View Single Post
Old 03-15-2010, 02:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Soleus

Question What do you say when people ask?

What do you say when people ask you about the addict in your life? I broke up with my addict boyfriend and when I tell people they of course wonder what happened. I want to tell them the truth, say that he's a recovering addict and he has personal things to deal with but at the same time I feel like thats too much information. At the same time, by not telling the truth I'm still feeding into his addiction and lies. Last year when we were together I never told anyone what was going on, I lied and protected him which I understand is part of 'enabling'. It still doesn't seem like something you should tell people though but it's not like people don't already know something is going on. I'd feel so much better just by telling people and letting the truth be known so I don't have to hide in his lies again. The few people that I have told have been very supportive of me and haven't made it awkward. It would just be liberating to get it out in the open so people can understand instead of just me half a** 'oh, we just didn't work out' attempt. Why should I have to lie for him? I never should have done it in the first place.

Are you honest with your friends and family who ask? Doesn't it make you feel better to be able to be honest for once instead of living in the dark with the addict in your life? I mean- these are consequences they bring on themselves.