Thread: Newbie
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2010, 01:41 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  
NEOMARXIST

Hi angharad. what you are talking about are all legimate problems that are faced by people getting sober in there 20's. I was 23 when i went to my first meetings and now I am 24. I am by far the youngest at meetings on a whole by about 20 years too. I have been to lots of different meetings, both in the city and towns, and this is generally the same. But I like the comfort of knowing AA meetings are there.

For me what it boils down to is do what you gotta do to stay sober. As long as what you are doing keeps you sober then great, if not then try something different.

It would be great if there were young peoples meetings in UK but there aren't. The reality is that there just isn't the amount of young people willing to get sober in UK. That is the reality. Is that gonna make me go back out drinking again? NO, because I'm an alcoholic/addict and to drink is to die for me.

It ain't easy and there is a lot of sacrifice made in respect of social life/activity that i can participate in. For example I am not gigging or pushing my music as the two are just too closely related to drinking/partying and I still struggle with feelings of mourning/grieving towards my music/guitar playing and being tea-total. But it is what it is and I accept it. For me if I drink then I would lose everything very quickly and I ain't like most others in that respect.

Getting sober has re-shaped my whole future and what I now am aiming for is totally reliant on my sobriety. Wihtout that then I lose my future ambitions/plans. The music will come back in time when I am 'comfortable' around the scene.

I was a wreckhead who lived the rock n' roll lifestyle to the letter. I idolise dead rockstars and all my favourite songs are written by musicians who too were alkies and druggies. That is the reality too. Most died at 27 or in there early 30's and those that didn't got sober/clean. I lived that lifestyle/ideoligy to the marrow and because I am real then it is not something that i can just move on from. It is taking much time and mourning/grieving.

Just for today I do not drink alcohol or take drugs. I know that is the best thing for me to do. That has been gained through much experience and total acceptance that I am an out and out alcoholic/addict. A sesh for me ends up in a bender drinking as soon as I wake and buying super-strength at 7.30 am in the pouring rain. Happened too many times. I am only ever one drink away from going back there again and that is the difference between me and most others. of course many in their 20's still aren't willing to get sober but then i guess I have got a lot to live for and I don't want to vomit it all down the toilet or snort it up my nose.doesn't mean that I wouldn't though if I didn't work on my recovery daily. It is a daily reprieve and it's frightening how quickly moods can turn. But be aware and don;t act upon anything and your OK. Live by the serenity prayer and know that this too shall pass.

Most of all don't drink. Applying the steps to your daily life is a good idea. My view on it all is do what you gotta do.

peace and Love