View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 11:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Fluffhead72

My dad (who raised me) was an alcoholic.

I was adopted...I've recently discovered that my biological father is an alcoholic as well...but he hasn't had a drink in over 30 years. And my biological mother's dad was a full-blown drunk his entire life until his death about 10 years ago. So this is my legacy no matter which way you slice it.

Anyway..my dad was the greatest guy in the world. He was a rare breed of alcoholic in that he drank beer all day, but I think I only ever saw him drunk once in my life late night at a wedding. It didn't affect his personality, he never shirked his duties (in life or as a parent). He was always there (for me and everyone he knew). He was wonderful and I miss him every day. While I worried about him & his addiction as I was growing up, it was never a big deal in our relationship or in his relationships with others. Sure, I remember being embarrassed by certain things...but it in no way marred my admiration of him or my love for him.

Wow. Talk about babbling...LOL..

Anyway..I guess what I'm saying is that it is possible that an alcoholic parent can be a great parent. Not recommending it of course--just saying.