View Single Post
Old 03-10-2010, 11:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SarahDoll

You are normal and in good company!

Until recently, I didn't realize how important it was to be mad at my mom, even though she isn't the addict and she tried very hard to shelter us kids, blah blah blah. She still made bad choices and they still impacted my life. Her life was shaped by my father's addiction. I recently realized that as much as I've tried to teach her how to parent me (I feel I still need parenting, even as an adult), she is simply not capable of being the mom I want or need. I'm angry about that. I've grieved hard for that. I've grieved hard for the losses of my childhood. You mentioned seeing the need for inner child work and grief work. Sometimes those are connected and it's your inner child that needs to grieve.

Like others have mentioned, I found journaling to be really helpful. Grief is about loss and it ended up being really important for me to very specifically identify the losses. This wasn't easy because some of the losses are really ambiguous. I made what I called a "loss poster" where I filled a poster board with short descriptions of things I have lost. A loss timeline was also helpful for me to see where the bulk of the loss occurred. I am lucky enough to have some really good friends who were willing to hold my hand through some of the grieving and having them act as witnesses to my loss (through sharing the loss poster or talking about it) was really healing.

Also, remember the popular stages of grief are actually geared toward accepting a death as opposed to less concrete loss, so if they don't resonate with you, don't think you're weird. If you google "ambiguous loss" you may find some of the info that comes up helpful.

Be gentle with yourself as you work through this.