Thread: Tramadol hell
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2010, 06:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
willy85

Originally Posted by sbakeruc View Post
Hello, I am new here. I don't think tramadol is a narcotic but sure feels like one and sure has the same withdrawals! (actually worse in my opinion) than narcotics (yes I have something to compare too, abused vicodin and adderall 4 years ago).

I have been taking Tramadol since September 09 for pain management. It recently has blown out of control. Yesterday I took 22 50mg (1,100)mg. I normal range between 8-12 a day but I have an impulse to take 22 for some reason. I believe this is very dangerous. I was upset so I just kept taking more... and more...

So later that night my girlfriend came over and we talked and then she started crying, she had no idea about this. I was so torn apart from seeing the way that I hurt her that I was furious (Didn't hurt her directly, hurt her in the way she was scared for me and didn't know what to do). I was enrage and grabbed my Tramadol bottle, set aside 20 and ran to the toilet and flushed down all the rest. I didn't even think about this I just did it. So now I have 20 to come down with & can't get more. I am going to space it out probably like this:

Day 1: 7
Day 2: 5
Day 3: 3
Day 4: 2
Day 5: 2
Day 6: 1

That's all I have to work with.

Let's see how this works.....

Anyone else have problems with Tramadol, it's an ugly drug.
Tramadol is not an opioid per sue. It's primary a pro-drug for the opiate aspect, meaning that when you consume the drug, your body metabolizes it and creates a mild mu opiate agonist. This is also commonly called in vivo metabolization.

Taking tramadol above 400mg a day is quite dangerous, since it also releases serotonin and acts as a norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor. Above 400mg, you can have seizures and convulsions.

I would not try and taper off such a high dose by yourself. Because the drug works in areas that anti-depressants work, discontinuation could be dangerous and horrible.

A doctor should assist you in discontinuing the medication. As I said above, not only does the drug's metabolites act as a central acting opiate, but it also has many metabolites that work the same way as anti-depressants.