Thread: Newbie
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2010, 02:36 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  
angharad

Originally Posted by NEOMARXIST View Post
Be honest and true to yourself in relation to other people. You don't need to tell them you're an alcoholic but also don't cower and make up some cringe-worthy excuse about being on anti-biotics or any of that crap.
LOL thats the commen excuse i was using for any social event that happened in my first 25 days. People believed me cuz i'm a nurse. I knew which anti biotics to rattle off to people, even work colleagues who were doctors and nurses on work night out, ones that you can't drink on. And people didn't think twice.

In fact I have a holiday in Croatia in April 17th-21st, already booked and paid for before I got sober. ITs with about 20 friends, and since i put down my last drink i've been thinking of what excuse to say of why i won't drink. But after your wise advice (as always) I'm just going to say i don't want to drink and want to enjoy the country as opposed to missing days from being hungover and only experiencing the night life!

That one drink was my downfall and it is so encouraging to know im not alone. My partner said to me, "its only one drink it doesn't matter, just start again" but its not only one drink in that sense. Its more than that. ITs the whole emotion and angst that comes with it, especially 25 days into sobreity.

This has been a huge lesson for me, and this rollercoaster of emotional upheaval is going round again! A personal problem that I've always had (don't know if its cuz im a nurse) is that I put others before me all the time, I worry about other ppl before myself, and I hate asking for help, I feel like ppl have better things to worry about or do than help me. That has to change I know, but it won't happen over night as I've been like this for years.

A lot of the time i posted on here day 20+ i didn't come clean with how depressed I was feeling or lonely and i should've done, but I didn't want to burden ppl and wanted people to be proud of me. But this is a place where you have to be brutally honest to survive. I don't like to think that im whinning. This will change now, If im feeling low i'll tell ppl just how low im feeling

-x-