Thread: Newbie
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2010, 03:23 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  
NEOMARXIST

Hi angharad. I'm sorry for you that you drank but in the end it was your decision to take that glass of wine.

You have obviously came straight back onto SR and admitted it and also to your partner which is good in that you have been honest about it and obviously in 'recovery' honesty is crucial and if I recall you were reluctant to tell your partner at first about your drinking so that is obviously progress in that regard.

I am not like you in that for me there never was a glass of wine but I would rather not bother with merely a glass as I was an out and out binge-drinker. How did you get the glass of wine in the first place? Do you have booze in the house? I know for me there was only ever such thing as a blackout drunk so when I drank again after trying to get sober it consisted of heavy drink and drug binges off and on for a month and a half. I was finally beaten 8 months and 1 day ago and I was done. Couldn't take it anymore and knew total surrender was the only way for me. I am an alcoholic and drug addict.

Nobody gets it first time around (very rare) because the nature of alcoholism is that total and utter acceptance has to be gained in the knowledge of your own alcoholism. Remember however that many chase acceptance into the grave. Denial is also a massive part of alcoholism.

I know that I had to go to a lot of AA meetings as well as SR. This helped me a lot. Maybe you need to go to more AA meetings too? Ask yourself what would it have taken to do differently so that you wouldn't have drank?

Of course all of this is futile if you don't consider yourself an alcoholic. Only you can say if you're an alcoholic. But remember that alcohol is "cunning, baffling and powerful" so it is possible that now you are 'back in the game' it would be very easy for drinking to start creeping back into your life after-work or at weekends etc.

I say it again that what helps keep me sober the most is total and utter acceptance that I'm an alcoholic and I embrace this and am proud to be a recovering alcoholic. This is because I was ashamed to be a drunk.

Also remember when you are feeling like drinking the pledge that 'just for today I will not drink'. Also if you had of told on yourself before you took that drink it is very unlikely you would have took the drink. Tell on yourself here on SR or phone an AA. Doing this saves many an alcoholic from taking that first drink. it is a very fine line in the early days/months at certain times, certainly was for me anyway.

Remember also that unless you work a programme of recovery then you are still gonna be thinking exactly the same as the person a few weeks ago when you decided to get sober. AA refers to a 'spiritual awakening' needed to remove the compulsion to drink.

I refer to it as a radical change in thinking towards people and life and the world in general. I think a lot differently to how I did 8 months and 1 day ago. If I thought the same way then I would still be thinking like an alcoholic but just minus the drink; 'dry drunk' if you like.

Remember alcoholism is a 'thinking' and not a 'drinking' problem.

peace