Old 03-07-2010, 02:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Spawn

Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
Sometimes I believe I think too much. Usually when I am cooking or cleaning or something that is pretty routine where my mind can wander. Today is no exception.

I started out today being very excited about my new routine. Yesterday I had been to the grocery store, today I was going to do a bunch of cooking in preparation for the week ahead, and getting my house cleaned. Part way through my work a series of questions popped into my head:

When the newness of routine wears off, will I be content with the life I am now trying to build?

Will I be happy with going to work 5 days a week, and cooking/cleaning 2 days a week?

How can I get the excitement I crave so much, and stay sober while doing it?

Was it the alcohol that made some of my experiences exciting, or was it something else?

Was my life really that exciting before, or was the alcohol merely a "smoke and mirrors" game going on in my head?

Is going from party to party, binge to binge really that exciting?

There are so many things whizzing through my head while I try to work through my thoughts. I know my choice to quit drinking is the right one and that I should not worry about the future, particularly since I am going through so much change in the present.

I am the only one who can answer those questions, and in the end it is up to me to make my own fun. Just thought I would throw this out there to see what other people's perspectives are. Hearing/reading someone else's opinion often enables me to see things from a different angle.
Routine is a good thing,......you do it long enough it becomes habit.
Part of alcoholism is understanding that we are creatures of habit,..........it's become a learned behaviour.
If we change those habits and do them long enough they too will become our new learned behaviour.
Sounds simple right?
What worked for me was just keeping it simple,..."today I won't drink".
Eventually when you string enough 24 hours together the mind starts to calm down,...
"provided we attend meetings and deal will our new emotions".