View Single Post
Old 03-04-2010, 06:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Pelican
peaceful seabird

Originally Posted by abajak View Post
o.h...one more thing. My dd asked me that night if daddy & I were getting a divorce, and said she hoped we wouldn't. Open to suggestions for healthy ways I could have answered this??
Welcome to the Family!

Read and post as much as needed. We're here to support you!

I'd look at that question from a 7 yo perspective, not an adult. What are her experiences with divorce? Limited, right? Is her knowledge based upon hearing about a bad divorce and all the drama?

I would reassure her that her mom and dad love her bunches! That sometimes adults need to seperate so that they can be better parents. If her mom and dad decide to seperate, it means that they still love her but want to find ways to be better parents to the children and better friends to each other.

I have experienced divorce with children. I try to keep in mind that my children love, love, love their other parent. They do not need to know all the drama. I want my children to continue to experience love, without anxiety, from their other parent.

That being said, I do believe it is important to explain alcoholism because it is a part of the family tree now. Your child's guidance counselor may be able to help with age appropriate language.

Make no mistake - I am not suggesting you become a door mat and ignore the alcoholism. As a momma bear protects her cubs, I will protect my children from alcoholic behavior. Legally and physically by whatever means are necessary!