View Single Post
Old 03-04-2010, 05:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Cantonian
11/11/07

dothi, Thank you for your advice, what you just wrote is truly "eerily" similiar, I could've expressed the same, it's always helpful to know I'm not alone in anything so I don't feel "special" in my disease.
Does your son have any safe refuge from grandpa A and uncle A? Does he have a choice whether or not to stay with them? Do they babysit sometimes?Yes, he's only there when I take him, but now I can't leave him alone to go to meetings so he may have to start going with me if I go there, but for the most part I avoid taking him ( he hasn't been there in more than a few months) and I have left with him when they start into each other.

Is he physically at risk from them? No, but I not willing to find out either.
I appreciate the concern for my son.
I do feel "trapped" by this situation and need to work harder to get out of it
Make it clear that you're not working hard to maintain your situation; you're working hard to change it. Your son needs to understand these toxic relationships aren't normal and warrant leaving; he needs to know this before it becomes "normal" for him to see in people.
So true and well put, I have discussed their behaviors with him and he understands as much as he can about this disease, I've spoken openly about it and he's been to quite a few meetings with me, but the part about explaining that I'm trying to change rather than maintain those realtionships is great advice, again, much appreciated.
K