View Single Post
Old 03-03-2010, 07:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Cantonian
11/11/07

I'm sober now...they're not.

Hi, I'm a noob here, I've been sober a little over two years, Amazing Grace!, anyway I'm having a problem dealing with my father and brother, they live together and both could qualify for AA. My brother is more of a binge drinker, he can quit easily but always starts again, has 3 DUI's and "is not an alcoholic". My father about 65 will admit upon occasion that he is an alcoholic, but then denies it, he drinks heavily every day after work, self-employed attorney, passes out wakes up, argues with bro about the TV, drinks more, repeat rinse...
Unfortunately I lost my job almost 2 years ago (I was sober at the time and it was not directly related to drinking) and have been doing some work at my dads to help make ends meet.
Here's the thing, they fight like they need a divorce, they're co-dependent and treat each other like dirt, alcoholics, go figure.
It is driving me crazy to be around them, to the point where I continually put off going there ( I have my own house with bills) although I need the money, my son, 8 is afraid of them because of their verbal abuse to each other, and I just don't know what to do. I work the program, I pray but nothing seems to calm the hatred I have for them and their disease. I feel hypocritical because I have tolerance for alcoholics in the program but none for these two in the throes of the disease. My father is getting worse and very forgetful ( I'm thinking the start of wet brain) and is becoming more 'grumpy' and I can see where it will eventually lead, I feel like I'm living in that movie 'Affliction'. When I'm there I go to meetings in their town, an hour away and stay at the house too.
I guess what I need is some advice on how to cope with them and their alcoholism...I need to get some perspective on it, but can't, I guess it's just too personal and I am reminded what I was and would become were I to take that path again...any advice etc... would be appreciated.