View Single Post
Old 03-02-2010, 09:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Houndheart

Horselover, thanks. I finally understand that saying no to certain situations is essential to my recovery in these early stages. I was just invited to spend a long weekend in Arizona (I am in snow ladden NY right now), and it sounded inviting. Nice warm Arizona...with my two drinking buds from college. We got together for our 30th college renunion a couple of years ago...we drank, and drank, and laughed, and drank...and got hungover...and did what we had done when we were 18, 19, 20 years old...and well...I was pretty sure that was going to be the M.O. of this upcoming Arizona weekend. My friend in Az knows I quit drinking and is sounding very supportive in emails. But my friend in NYC, the one with the Jack Daniels comments at the top of this thread, is not all that in tuned with what I need yet. (pretty obvioulsy because of her own deal with alcohol). And I was worried that this situation would be a downfall for me. And I put my sobriety first...for a change. This is really cool. I have never done that before. But I did it this time. I had to. I will go to Az next year when I feel like a clear headed strong individual. Not now though. I will deal with the snow and ice, and the cold weather, and not seeing my friends for a weekend...and I will be rewarded with healthier life...and the clarity of mind.

Fandy--I hope you get there. I am working on it..and I know you can too. Let yourself really want it. It might be really outrageously cool, right?