Thread: 2 weeks sober
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2010, 01:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
medals

2 weeks sober

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie from England.
2 weeks ago I decided I had an addiction to booze and I really needed to do something about it. I wasn't knocking back a whiskey before work or nipping out for a 'quick one' at lunch. But I couldn't go a night without at least a bottle of wine, or a couple 'or 4' of strong ciders. Oh and Brandy, oh dear! I started thinking during the day if I had enough booze to get through the evening. This was not good, it had to stop.

So I've tackled this like I tackle my running hobby, I've just gritted my teeth and done it, stopped drinking that is. 2 weeks in I can say that I've had a drink twice in that time. 1 pint of cider at home and 1 pint of beer down the pub with my mates. The first 5 days were worst, very bad cravings. But I'm getting out of the habit slowly I think and although I still crave a drink at 7.00pm ish, if I have a non-alcoholic beer I get through the craving.

Do I want to go teetotal or just moderate my drinking? I honestly don't know yet. I can't see myself completely giving up the booze, but I'm pretty sure drinking makes me more prone to panic attacks so atm I'm just trying to cut it out completely and take one day at a time. 2 pints in 2 weeks though is a good start. I just so glad there are places like this where you know that you're not alone.