Old 02-28-2010, 10:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Impurrfect

Welcome to SR, though I'm sorry for what has brought you here.

I'm an RA (recovering addict) as well as a recovering codie (codependent) - I have loved ones who are active or recovering addicts.

One thing we stress around here is the 3 c's...you didn't cause it, you can't change it, and you can't cure it. We're speaking of addiction, but I've found the 3 c's work for more than just addiction.

I can't/won't tell you what to do, but I can tell you what helped ME seek recovery the most - my loved ones stepped back and let me fall flat on my face. They essentially said "we love you, but we're not going down with you". I am sure it was the hardest thing they've ever done. As I've struggled to get out of the hole I dug myself into, my family has been very supportive but I had to earn back trust.

I left MY bf because he was still using. I know that love can't cure addiction and he was going to drag me down. I've had to do the same with another loved one, and thanks to the great people here, I've learned that I can go on with my life, no matter what the addict does.

I hope you read around, here, as you will see that you are not alone. As far as what other people think....I wouldn't worry about that. This is YOUR life and you deserve to be happy and serene.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy