View Single Post
Old 02-28-2010, 09:50 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Mattcake

I agree with Dee, it definitely sounds like you're a lot more self-aware these days - and you were quite introspective to begin with (or at least when you wanted to be, lol).

It sounds like you're getting lots out of this but, like you say, you're not giving it your all. Uhmm... It's weird, the way we all just seem to adapt to stuff (people in general, but I'm referring mostly to addicts here). Like someone will say "back when I was drinking two fifths of vodka a day", or "no, that was the *fourth* time I was in jail/detox/ hospital, not the second one"... and no one will bat an eyelash, cos we've all been there, in one way or another.

And it's like you're on a whole new level. Try to see it from the outside for a minute. There you are, in a place where you're monitored 24/7, everything you do is watched, your free time is extremely limited and controlled... never mind the condition of staying clean to be a part of it in the first place. You've adapted to it and find it funny and, again, that's what happens, we adapt... but when I read that one of your fellow peers had relapsed and gotten kicked out, my heart just skipped a beat. I personally find it really shocking, and I don't know if I could be in such a situation.

What I'm saying is... what you're doing is big and really challenging. Milk out anything and everything you can out of it. It takes a lot of guts and courage to be there, doing that. So go the extra mile. Or ten.

Love ya.