View Single Post
Old 02-26-2010, 07:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
saneagain

Getting past guilt of divorce

I am new to this forum. I filed for divorce from my AH of 16 years in September. His disease progressed from being a functional alcoholic - great husband and father to our 3 children- to getting fired from a high paying job, getting a DUI and becoming abusive. I filed for divorce a week after I called the police because he was threatening my life and had been abusive a few days prior. Since filing, he has been sober, buys me things constantly, tells me he loves me and can't live without me. He has Bipolar Disorder and I worry at times that he may be suicidal. He says that he is a changed man and will never drink again. I've read Co-Dependent No More and several other books which I found helpful. I do not love him anymore, but I feel so guilty for divorcing him. He needs medication and counseling for his depression. After the divorce, he won't have any insurance. I am so frustrated that he refused to quit drinking until it got to the point that I had no feelings left except pity! Any advice for the newbie?